About Me

My photo

I love hammering gold, silver, copper, brass, and bronze into amazing textured custom rings, custom wedding rings, engagement rings, and other unique artisan jewelry.  I have an extensive selection of men's and women's rings, along with gemstone and pearl jewelry in my SilverSmack shop on Etsy.  Please stop in and take a look.

A Poem I wrote

Beyond Semi-precious

Lapidolite, Dumorterite, Iolite

even the sedimentary syllables shine


nutured by nature

colored by the earth

flecked
mottled
dappled

fossilized blooms

petrified sunsets

envelop me

Click on my banner to visit my shop.

Friday, May 23, 2008

Hypermiling Hell

Well, it's not really Hell for me, but for the people stuck behind me. . .perhaps. It did take me a little while to get used to driving slower and to coast and to keep shifting into neutral. Sometimes I forget to shift back (and negate all my hard work), or I go too far and onto reverse(not good). I make a game of it now. I see if I can coast a little further or see what my miles per gallon are each fill-up. I live in a pretty rural area, so I can get away with quite a bit. There is a stretch of road on my way home where I can coast in neutral for over a mile and a half. Granted, there is a point where I crest a hill at about 25mph, but then I slowly regain speed as I start back down the hill. (The speed limit is 40mph, but everyone goes about 60mph usually.) Gas was $4.24 here today, so I really don't care who I annoy while I'm trying to save gas. They can pass me if they want to go faster. There was always a police officer who was always trying to catch me speeding down that road. I can't wait 'til he clocks me coasting at 25mph!

3 comments:

Cathy said...

Oh good gracious. I don't think going 55 mph on my way to work in the morning at 5am is going to work too well. Great tips though :)

Cathy

Jeannie&Aly'sBlog said...

Funny girl! :-)

Anitra Cameron said...

It's kind of scary isn't it? Gas here can still be found at just under $4, but I drive as little as possible now, and always combine trips.

On top of that, I made the first trip to a grocery store in about 10 days yesterday, and could hardly believe how much things had gone up. $2.30 a pound for Gala or Fuji apples? $4 a pound for strawberries?! Gadzooks.

Well, this is where the ingenuity you're showing comes into play, yes?